Tuesday, October 16, 2012

NBA Pacific Division Map


View NBA Pacific Division in a larger map

For my lab assignment this week, I chose to display the five teams that make up the Pacific division of the Western Conference in the NBA. The teams, when placed on a map, can be shown to describe why the NBA chooses a geographic reference as a competitive division. Of course with the major trades this year, especially Nash to the Lakers, this year promises to bring forth more rivalries and exciting basketball. I wish that the Clippers would "kick rocks" and head to Orange County or San Diego, but this won't always be a perfect world. For this reason, I did place the Lakers more geographically correct.

 I enjoyed this assignment and like working with Google Maps. There are, however, pitfalls to creating a map online. The biggest problem, to me, is how the geographical reference of the item that is being placed can override another point of reference on the map. This is very frustrating when trying to place a point exactly where the should be. The other big problem with Google Maps is that this service lacks creativity. There aren't many things that can be changed on the maps. If I want to exclude particular things from the map, this cannot be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment